U.S. and Somali Strikes on Shabab Said to Kill Nearly 100 Militants

U.S. and Somali Strikes on Shabab Said to Kill Nearly 100 Militants


Jilib is a Shabab stronghold about 75 miles north of the port city of Kismayo, where militants attacked a Somali army base in September.

Mr. Osman claimed the attack “destroyed all explosive materials” and “technical vehicles” Shabab had stored at the site. He declined to give further details of the attack, citing a pending investigation.

Andalus radio, the broadcast arm of the Shabab, denied there was any attack on Jilib. The group’s spokesman told the radio station that no fighters had been killed.

Neither claim could be independently verified, and both the government and the Shabab have been known to exaggerate or minimize casualty claims for propaganda purposes.

In October, a truck bomb at a busy intersection in Mogadishu killed 358 people; the Shabab were blamed for the attack.

The group also claimed responsibility for a hotel attack that killed 23 people at the end of October.

Last Friday, United States forces carried out airstrikes against an Islamic State-affiliated Shabab splinter group, operating in the central Somali region of Puntland. It was the first United States strike against the Islamic State in the country.

The United States Mission in Somalia the next day directed nonessential personnel to leave Mogadishu indefinitely, citing a specific threat against Americans in the city.



Source link

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *