Eight Candidates Approved for U.S. Soccer Presidential Race

Eight Candidates Approved for U.S. Soccer Presidential Race


Photo

One person who will not be running for the U.S. Soccer presidency is the current occupant of the post: Sunil Gulati. He announced last week that he would not pursue a fourth term.

Credit
Elise Amendola/Associated Press

The crowded field of candidates running for the presidency of U.S. Soccer was trimmed on Wednesday night, but only barely.

U.S. Soccer announced in a statement that eight of the nine announced candidates for the position had submitted the required three nominations to be eligible to run for the post, but the federation declined to name those individuals because it had been unable to complete background checks for at least two of them.

Several of the candidates, including the former men’s national team players Eric Wynalda, Kyle Martino and Paul Caligiuri and the former women’s goalkeeper Hope Solo, have publicly declared that they had the required nominations, and the first person in the race, the Boston lawyer Steve Gans, was reported to have his as well.

Two veteran soccer executives running, the federation vice president Carlos Cordeiro and the Soccer United Marketing president Kathy Carter, were less public about their nominations, but given their experience and connections in the game it would be improbable that they would have entered the race without the required support.

The only others to declare for the race are Michael Winograd, a lawyer from New Jersey who said on Twitter that he had “more than” the required number of nominations, and the Massachusetts soccer official Paul Lapointe.

The ninth announced candidate, at least, knows their fate; that candidate, a U.S. Soccer official said, was rejected for failing to submit the required nominations by Tuesday’s midnight deadline.

http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js



Source link

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *