Sotheby’s Closes Richard Meier Show After Harassment Charges

Sotheby’s Closes Richard Meier Show After Harassment Charges


The architect Richard Meier, whom five women accused of sexual harassment.

George Etheredge for The New York Times

In the wake of a New York Times report on sexual harassment allegations against the prominent architect Richard Meier, Sotheby’s has closed an exhibition of collages and silk-screens by Mr. Meier at its S2 Gallery in New York.

In describing one example of Mr. Meier’s misconduct, former female employees said they had been shown or asked to help with the architect’s collages, which included images of female genitalia. Mr. Meier has issued an apology and taken a six-month leave from his firm.

“Under the circumstances, and in consultation with the Meier family, the decision has been made to close our exhibition early,” the auction house said in a statement.

The decision to end the show, which opened Feb. 28 and was supposed to run through March 29, was first reported by ARTnews.

Also after the Times report, Kent Kleinman, the dean of Cornell University’s College of Architecture, Art, and Planning, announced on Tuesday that the school would now decline Mr. Meier’s recent gift to name the chair of the architecture department and it would cancel the event planned for next week to celebrate the donation.

“Although he has apologized, the reported behavior is unacceptable,” Mr. Kleinman said in a statement. “We will swiftly explore what additional actions are appropriate with regard to endowments for professorships and scholarships previously donated to Cornell.”

Source link

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *